Sea Kayaking the Amalfi Coast of Italy
In the Footsteps of the Ancient Roman Tourists: An Adventure by Land and Sea
Imagine paddling through volcanic archways, a glimpse of a precipitous coastline coming into view, and then the full drama of la Costeria Amalfiano before you its landscape of color, texture, and relief are woven into a dramatic tapestry that permeates the soul. To its first explorers, the ancient Greeks, "psyche", or soul was associated with breath, and there is no more breath-taking sight than the Amalfi Coast from the seat of a kayak. Voyage with the staff of H2Outfitters and discover the essence of "la dolce vita".
Homer, Greece's epic poet of antiquity, described the wine-dark seas of the Mediterranean, its sounds and the adventure it provided many a Homeric hero. Being blind, his color perception may be a little off, but our adventure to the cool blue waters of the Mediterranean is a destination not to be missed. Step back into the past as we visit ruins from Greece's Helenistic period or the incomparable remains of the cities of Pompei and Herculaneum. This is a land of stark volcanic relief whose rich soils provide for the surrounding framework of lush green foliage and vibrant color. After all, the Amalfi coast has been a destination for tourists since the ancient Romans first hit the road to see their empire. Sun, sand, and ocean breezes were the attraction then, and still offer a magnetic lure to today's vacationer. We will discover hidden grottos and sea-caves, wander solitary mountain trails used by shepherds and their flocks, and after an active day relax in one of the quaint village cafes. This is la dolce vita, the way life should be!
$3950 per person double occupancy; single supplement $500.
• 7 nights accommodations
• Meals as noted on itinerary (B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner)
• Transportation during the trip
• All kayaking gear and safety equipment
• Qualified and highly trained guides
• International airfare between the US and the start/end cities; passport and visa fees; medical and trip insurance; evacuation costs; excess baggage fees; fuel surcharges; items of a personal nature, including laundry, telephone/fax bills and bar bills; other items not specifically mentioned as included.
• Transportation from the airport to our hotel at the beginning of the trip and our hotel to the airport at the end of the trip.
•Fees for optional activities
•Meals not specified on itinerary
• Gratuities for guides
• Airport departure taxes; additional hotel nights that may be incurred due to airport schedule changes or other factors